About Me

My photo
I made my first quilt in 1973 while pregnant with my second daughter. My mother and grandmother both quilted but had not taught me, so I really began from scratch. I wanted a quilt to cover her bassinet, it was awful but it kept her head from rubbing the woven bassinet. My next attempt was a crib quilt for her but I had no one to tell me how large to make it. I measured the mattress and made it that size. Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam with no room to cover the baby. It just lays flat on the mattress. To say I have learned a lot, is an understatement.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Southern: A State of Mind

For those of you who may not know me personally, I am Southern. Born and reared in the deep South. For a lot a people that may not mean much, however, for a Southerner that says it all. No matter where the Army moved me, no matter that we retired in Kansas, I am still a Southerner. Always have been, always will be. It is not a location thing, it is a mind-set.


(at this point you may begin hearing a deep southern voice positively dripping with charm)




Having said that, have you seen the new Gone With The Wind fabric? Did you know that 2011 is the 150th anniversary of the War of Yankee Aggression? Well it is! It is also the 70th anniversary of the movie Gone With The Wind. When you think about that you realize that when the movie first came out there were possibly people who actually remembered that war. Wow! I saw it the first time on New Year's Eve of 1961, the 100th anniversary.




Anyway, is there a woman anywhere who does not dream of having a man look at her as Rhett Butler looked at Scarlett? Just makes you positively swoon, now doesn't it?




And those beautiful magnolia blossoms? I can almost smell their heavenly fragrance.





The beautiful quilt using this fabric that is in the pattern of the Tennessee Waltz also makes you think of a more gentile time when men treated ladies as though they were truly ladies. When the strongest language a lady uttered was a "well fiddledey dee" and you did not hear gentlemen use strong language either, except in extreme circumstances when Rhett tells Scarlett, "well frankly, my dear, I don't give a d*#%".



So, while you enjoy these lovely fabrics and the quilt, I think I will have a nice mint julep and rest in the shade, since a lady never wants to have freckles, and remember that


"afterall, tomorrow is another day".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers