About Me

My photo
I made my first quilt in 1973 while pregnant with my second daughter. My mother and grandmother both quilted but had not taught me, so I really began from scratch. I wanted a quilt to cover her bassinet, it was awful but it kept her head from rubbing the woven bassinet. My next attempt was a crib quilt for her but I had no one to tell me how large to make it. I measured the mattress and made it that size. Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam with no room to cover the baby. It just lays flat on the mattress. To say I have learned a lot, is an understatement.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Scrap Wagon is Full

The last time I wrote, I told you there were woman who inspire me and I want to continue with the introductions.










This time I want you to meet Vicky. She is married to a farmer and has a young son. Vicky is a very happy woman and seems to be always on the upside of life. I simply cannot remember a time when she was not happy. Her son is just a darling child who has learned that when he is out with his mother, he must behave. Many parents do not teach their children this valuable lesson.




Vicky's love is scrap quilting. I do not know if her love of quilting with scraps comes from anything other than a real love of collecting a wide variety of fabrics, sorting them into containers by color, size and what other methods, but she certainly does a large amount of it.






Also Vicky is extremely frugal! I just love when she comes to our Saturday Sampler meetings and brings beautiful quilts to show and tells the others that this quilt "cost me about $15 in fabric". Most of Vicky's fabric selections come from our scrap bin!












This is a little red wagon with high sides and we often refer to it as "Vicky's wagon", we even have pictures of her quilts over the wagon. The other quilters are usually a bit jealous of the gorgeous quilts but readily admit that they do not enjoy digging through all the scraps in their homes to find just the right piece.




Recently she brought a pink quilt in and she blew us away; it was NOT made only from scraps. She had actually bought some fat quarters to augment her scraps.





Lest you think the quilt shop will close because of this frugal girl's quilting habits, fear not. Vicky always shops with us for her backings and they are as lovely as the tops. She has each quilt professionally quilted and then has truly a masterpiece to enjoy.



Personally, it would make me want to take up drinking for a hobby if I had to go through all those little bitty pieces to make a quilt, but Vicky inspires me with her beautifully coordinated and expertly constructed quilts.











Hey, Vicky B......the wagon's full, come on
down!

























Jerry

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers